eDiscovery Environment Assessments
A deep dive to .
A George Jon eDiscovery environment assessment is a comprehensive study of all the critical levers represented in your current operating model. Our team will analyze the following elements:
- Technology: Infrastructure, application, network and data architecture.
- Organization & Process: eDiscovery workflows, data lifecycle management, information security, human resources, and IT support.
- Financials: Capital and operating expenses across the entire operating model (infrastructure, licensing, hosting, resource costs, and more).
To begin the assessment, we gather relevant quantitative and qualitative data to construct a current state baseline, to be validated by your executive team. That is followed by a gap analysis, comparing the current state baseline to management expectations, George Jon best practices, and industry benchmarks to identify areas for remediation and improvement.
The outcome is a strategic roadmap for optimizing your eDiscovery operations, prioritizing remediation recommendations and providing a detailed implementation plan for short- and long-term initiatives. Short-term recommendations (“quick wins”) are items that can be implemented immediately (and at low cost) with a high return to the business, such as environment configuration changes and workflow optimization. Long-term recommendations are strategic in nature, requiring 3+ months to implement and a meaningful budget commitment. Sample initiatives could be migrating environments to new hosting platforms or replacing critical technologies to enable enhanced automation and reporting.
- Identifies, documents and provides remediation steps to address issues affecting the eDiscovery platform
- Determines hardware/software compatibility issues
- Sets goals and a roadmap for future improvements, growth and management
- Recommends disaster recovery and backup procedures to ensure data security and integrity
- Provides cost and effort estimates for implementing recommendations
- Weighs cost benefits across strategic initiatives including outsourcing of hosting, cloud migrations, and on-premises deployments
- Outlines immediate cost savings that will boost your bottom line
- Identifies areas of weakness/strength in workflow and supporting resources
- Allows you to leverage GJ professional services for ad-hoc projects (application upgrades/installs, SQL migrations/deployments, etc.)
Environment Assessment Framework
Gather environment documentation, data and insights to determine current baseline state, plus hold GJ + client workshop sessions.
Develop a prioritized list of directives, broken down by category, for enhancing the platform’s current state and ensuring ROI.
Deliver Assessment Report & Executive Summary detailing areas needing remediation and future-state roadmap options
Scope of Services
George Jon will perform a comprehensive audit of the technology used in your eDiscovery environment, including (but not limited to) application and OS best practices (per George Jon and trusted vendors). We then perform a secondary best practice assessment on component harmony, applying our 15 years of real-world experience to see how the elements in your environment function as a cohesive system. The resultant data allows us to design a perfect end user experience, making recommendations on components including:
- Physical server hardware
- SQL architecture
- Virtualization / compute
- Backups and disaster recovery
- Load balancing
To optimize the technologies employed in your eDiscovery system, our consultants will assess the efficiency and effectiveness of surrounding processes, including core elements surrounding:
- Data governance and management
- Environment support (IT)
- Application-specific workflows
- Information security process and protocols
- Maintenance schedule
- Disaster recovery testing and simulation
The financial health of your eDiscovery environment and operations can be assessed and benchmarked against historic metrics gathered from previous/existing clients, according to your specific environment size:
- Total cost of platform ownership
- Average annual capital expense
- Average annual operating expenses
- Hosting and processing costs (per GB)
- IT support costs (per GB)